Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Poems from Guantanamo

Poems from Guantanamo, I felt was a great source for seeing exile, which is what the course is all about. Each and every poet in this book, writes about their exile from their homeland, because of there being a slim chance of them being terrorists (when they have no link to anything at all). The particular thing I want to look out is the bond they all share with God. There is a lot of religious over tone, everywhere in every poem. Of course this is partially expected due to the fact that when you are held against your will in a foreign place, you will turn to God. Through out each poem, you can see them blamming their religion for why they are detained but at the same time saying no matter what they won't give out hope because salvation will be given to them by God.

The poem that interested me the most was Homeward Bound. Of course this particular poem doesn't have much of a religious overtone. The reason I particularly love this poem is not only because of the meaning and power of the poem, but the meter and rhyme scheme. The meter and rhyme scheme are simplistic and memorable. The poem itself is great. It is written by Moazzam Begg, and throughout the poem you can hear the loss of dreams and hopes as he is stuck in limbo in this prison slowly losing himself to despair. Then he finally comes out and says No i still have hope I want to be Homeward Bound. It reminds me of Etheridge Knight, who is a great poet who also wrote from jail, mostly about how he wants to be home with his family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went and researched the poem I was talking about that it reminded me by Etheridge Knight, and that was "The Idea of Ancestry". I just want to point out that I feel that Begg is forcefully kept in prison for doing nothing, which makes his situation ten times worse then Knight who was in Prison for breaking and entering.