Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Guilty until proven innocent?

What is happening to our society nowadays? We are not only allowing the distribution and diffusion of false propaganda about a religion that only promotes pacifism, but now we are also allowing (if not promoting)the barbaric and unhmane treatment of people, who have to prove that they are innocent. Reading Poems from Guantanamo left me with so much despair and sadness, I honestly could not believe that our nation is recurring to a methodology similar to that of "terrorists" who not only commit atrocities but they commit them towards innocents. Two of the poems that really got me thinking and feeling the anguish of the terrible situation of the detainees were "Death Poem" by Jumah Aldosari "To My Father" by Abdullah Thani Faris Anazi.
In "Death Poem" I felt the irony, and loneliness, the pride of remaining integer and to stand by one's beliefs and to have the courage to die for them. I also felt the importance of showing this to the world before it becomes a bigger horror and we will have to apologize forever (As it usually the case in History, Slavery, Camps during World War II).
In "To My Father" I also saw integrity and faithfulness and the importance of faith when in despair, and sadness.
In addition, the article "Arrivals and Departures" really suits the poems well, it shows the problematic of "these world news" that spread like an unstoppable virus and half of the time are not true

No comments: