Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MY HEART SANK INTO MY STOMACH.

Poems from Guantanamo THE DETAINEES SPEAK edited by Marc Falkoff made my heart sink into my stomach. These poems really had a striking impact on me. It made me feel like starting a movement, fighting for the rightful justice for these detainees. Over emotional? Yes, I would agree but these accounts came from the individuals who experienced what exile really meant, being away from family, mistreated, abused, this book embodied the true meaning of the silent killer we know as Exile. Reading about innocent, well-educated, respected citizens of various backgrounds being held in these iron cages just shows how unfair the justice system can be, even in present day 2008! It is just unrealistic, and really disturbing. All the poems in this compliation had its relavence, and importance, and it was very difficult for me to choose one and discuss it part by part. Many stood out to me, but I closed my eyes and imagined myself as a detainee, as one of them, and said to myself what would I write. The poem that I chose to examine closely is, IS IT TRUE? By Osama Abu Kabir, the water truck driver from Jordan. This poem appealed to me because it was straight forward, and it addressed all the important topics: Home, Family, and the man who makes the decisions, the Judge. This poem clearly shows that the detainee longs to be with his family, and in his homeland. He begs for his rightful freedom, but sadly Kabir remains at Guantanamo even till this day. Above all, I guess you left the best for last professor. I really enjoyed this class, and it really opened my eyes on a whole other level. Before taking this class, I went around taking things for granted, but after being a part of this class I learned to appreciate the simple things in my life. Thank you Professor Kijowski.

No comments: