Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Free=New York

What I found interesting about the novel was the relationship between Edwidge and her care taker/ Uncle Joseph. I suppose because of modern times I thought the relationship was going to be similar to the one in “Lolita” but it was different and poor Uncle Joseph dies. I agree with Sara when she says that the story is very realistic because it’s very common. I can see how she experienced a form of personal exile being isolated from the only home she’d ever known and the person she sees as he father. Interestingly enough, she joins her parents in New York for a better life but she doesn’t see it that was because she loves Haiti and misses her family. At one point the doctor instructs them to take their medications for tuberculosis and promises them the pills will bring them “closer to New York” (p 101). That idea aliens with the constant motif of finding freedom in New York. I think the novel was an easy read and very easy to understand.

No comments: