Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Brother, I'm Dying a most heartbreaking and realistic memoir

When I started reading Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Dandicat I honestly felt like I was reading a seventh or eighth grade book, which kind of made me feel that the book was not going to have an outstanding and memorable storyline, but as I got deeper into the memoir I realize that I was leaning towards the wrong assumption.
This story is not only very realistic (I know someone that has been through the same ordeal as the uncle) but well told, I mean the simple language and smooth chronological flashbacks allow for a better and more humane feeling ( in the reader) and at the same time provide a greater spotlight for the things that need to be highlighted. The generic but detailed language that Edwidge makes use of, makes the horrific events stand for themselves, without having to be glorified with superfluous writing.
The narrative style is so touchy, especially at the end, that I really did not want to get to the end because everything got so pictographic, scary and sad that I felt a knot in my throat and expected worse than what i had already read (which was terrible).

No comments: