Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Exile's Return

One of my favorite things about reading a text is when I am reading and I am getting quite bored, but then I come across something unique and interesting. I can say this of Section II of Cowley's text, in particular when he lists from 1-8, the "system of ideas." I found this so interesting because it sounds like something that would not only pertain to that time, but to the mid twentieth century and even the present. The quest for artists, writers in this sense is a never-ending quest for knowledge, individualism, and social acknowledgment. The artist is forever in exile. As much as he writes of recognizable things, he looks for his reader to interpret the not-so-recognizable.

I find one hypocracy of this text, however, if the writer, the artist is searching for individualism, where does that individualism begin and end? If one were to dissect this text, they would find various hypocracies. The narrative voice is obviously very intellectual and well educated. However, in promoting and supporting the individual artist, why does he list various other artists with a demeaning voice at times? Was his intention to impose judgment?

One other comment on the era: the writer does an excellent job of taking the reader through specific events of WWI. The impact of warring times on writership and vice versa is a great one. The historicity in this text was perhaps the most interesting aspect in my opinion.





No comments: